When you need an escape from everyday life, a month spent on a pool-side holiday can do the trick, but unfortunately, that’s often far from practical and affordable. Instead, a simple, cost-free podcast will have to suffice, however, with such a wealth of variety available, it can be overwhelming knowing where to start.
So if you’re searching for the best free podcasts to help you get through that miserable morning commute to work, we’ve got you covered.
Best Running Podcasts
We know that running can often be boring, and listening to that same old playlist gets tiresome after a while, so why not mix it up with a running podcast? So to give you something new while you get that blood pumping, here are our best running podcasts:
- Run, Selfie, Repeat: Perfect for pre-workout motivation, Kelly Roberts’s Run, Selfie, Repeat podcast episodes are often short, sharp bursts of conversation that regularly touch upon the tougher side of running.
- Running Commentary: A running podcast recorded while running – Running Commentary features comedians Paul Tonkinson and Rob Deering discussing life and running on their many outdoor adventures.
- The 300 Pounds and Running Podcast: Covering all things running, from mental health to fitness regimes, The 300 Pounds and Running Podcast covers the many realities of health and fitness with a variety of athletes.
- The Dumbbells: Discussing all things fitness, The Dumbbells podcast, hosted by comedians Eugene Cordero and Ryan Stanger, is the perfect solution for bringing a touch of laughter to your workout routine.
- Work, Play, Love: Hosted by professional endurance athletes, authors, entrepreneurs and married couple; Jesse Thomas and Lauren Fleshman’s Work, Play, Love podcast answers listeners questions on family life and fitness.
Best Educational Podcasts
Feel like turning that Monday morning commute to work into something a little more interesting? Then our best educational podcasts list might be just what you need.
- This American Life: Highly regarded for its weekly stories, This American Life has been going strong throughout various incarnations since 1995 and continues to push the very best of American journalism.
- Radiolab: Winner of a number of Peabody Awards and a National Academies Communication Award, the Radiolab podcast explores everything from Facebook and free speech, to the act of heroism.
- Ted Talks Daily: Condensing the popular Ted Talk format into Podcast form, this daily podcast is brimming with eye-opening ideas and talks.
- Freakonomics Radio: You won’t get much more informative than this educational podcast from Stephen J. Dubner, co-author of the best-selling Freakonomics books. So whether it’s in-depth conversations with a Nobel Laureate or a discussion on the future of meat, Freakonomics Radio is hard to beat when it comes to the best educational podcasts.
- Revisionist History: Revisiting the often overlooked and forgotten, whether that’s a time, a place, or a person, author Malcolm Gladwell manages to both entertain and inform with his brilliant Revisionist History podcast.
Best Comedy Podcasts
Need something to brighten up a dull day? Then one of our best comedy podcasts could be just what you need.
- Adam Buxton: Currently one of the best British podcasts currently out there, Adam Buxton’s unique brand of chat has met with such names Louis Theroux, Paul Thomas Anderson and Kathy Burke.
- How Did This Get Made: Taking a look at some of history’s worst films, the How Did This Get Made podcast attempts to answer their self-posed question with increasing hilarity.
- WTF with Marc Maron: There aren’t many podcasts that can boast such illustrious former guests as Barack Obama, Keith Richards or Robin Williams, but WTF with Marc Maron can. Started back in 2009, comedian Marc Maron’s now legendary podcast repeatedly hits more than six million downloads a month.
- Richard Herring’s Leicester Square Theatre Podcast: Having played host to some, if not all, of the biggest names currently in British comedy, Richard Herring’s award-winning podcast is a go-to listen for guaranteed laughs.
- This Paranormal Life: Tackling the world of the unknown one monster at a time, the This Paranormal Life podcast has to date investigated everything from living blobs to cursed theme parks.
Enter our Free Competition for Sony Headphones
Whether it’s the best comedy podcasts for your commute to work, the best running podcasts for exercising, or the best educational podcasts to expand your knowledge, there’s something for everyone.
Fancy listening to our picks for the best free podcasts on a pair of brand-new Bluetooth headphones? Then why not enter our free competition. To find out how you could win one of ten sets of Sony MDR-RF811RK Wireless Headphones, click here.